NATIONAL PORTRAIT SALON
Opening Date: 9.00am Thursday 1 June 2023 (NZST)
Closing Date: 5.00pm, Friday 30 June 2023 (NZST)
Results: No later than Sunday 23 July 2023
Digital Salon Catalogue: Delivered electronically to all entrants by 1 August 2023
Read Rules and Conditions of Entry here
Who can Enter: The Salon is open to all New Zealand and overseas photographers.
There are Three Sections:
- Open Portrait (Digital) Up to 4 Images may be entered in this section
- Environmental Portrait (Digital) Up to 2 Images may be entered in this section
- Persons Best Friend (Digital) Up to 2 Images may be entered in this section
Open Portrait: Any portrait of a human or humans, using any technique. Entries can encompass all aspects of
humanity, from birth to death, and all that comes in between. They may be portraits of one person or many.
We are looking for images that communicate a story, an emotion, an idea or even just a simple moment that
must be remembered.
Environmental Portrait: We are looking for images that are executed in an environment that relates to the
subject(s) being photographed. The included environment should provide a deeper insight into the personality,
emotion, or lifestyle of the subject(s). Images can be candid or unposed, or lightly directed or posed by the
photographer, and may include self-portraits.
Persons Best Friend: Here we are asking for a specific type of portrait, one that explores the relationships and
interactions between pets/animals, and humans. For the sake of clarity, the image must show at least one
person and one animal. We are looking for both a story, and a sense of emotional engagement between the
person and animal and with us, as viewers. We might see examples of happiness, excitement, joy, frustration
or even sorrow. Images can be posed, staged, or directed by the photographer or they could capture those
wonderful authentic, unscripted spontaneous moments, that make our relationships with our best non-human
friends the wonder that they are.
Supreme Champion Portrait Image: The BBCM Award $1,000.00 gift voucher
Gold Award Open Portrait: Carters Photographics $250 .00 voucher
Gold Award Persons Best Friend Image: Wild Shutter $250 .00 voucher
Gold Award Environmental Portrait: Carters Photographics $250 .00 voucher
The following certificates are awarded in each category,
• Silver Awards (up to 2 per section)
• Bronze Awards (up to 3 per section)
• Honours Awards ( up to 6 per section)
• Acceptance Awards
NB: No individual entry will be eligible for more than one award
Paul Byrne FPSNZ ARPS AFIAP
Tracey Scott FPSNZ AFIAP MNZIPP (Dist.) IV
Justin Aitken GM NZIPP
- The entry fee is $25 for one section, and then $10 per section thereafter. (Maximum fee of $45)
- Fees should be paid by electronic bank deposit into 03 1548 0004925 02 using YOUR ENTRY NUMBER as a reference. Fee includes a digital catalogue.
- Digital images must be in JPEG format with the horizontal side being a maximum of 3840 pixels and the
vertical being a maximum of 2160 pixels.
- Images must be saved in the sRGB colour space.
- Entries must be submitted through the online entry system.
- The title entered must be identical to the title of the uploaded image file.
1. Each entrant may submit up to four images in the Open section, up to two images in the Environmental Portrait section and up to two images in the Persons Best Friend. All Image entries must be submitted through the online entry system.
2. Entrants must have appropriate rights and permission relating to the subject matter of their entries.
3. Entries must be 100% photographic and all elements must be produced by the entrant, including
materials for composite images.
4. All post production must be executed by the photographer.
5. An image may be entered into only one category. For the avoidance of doubt, images by the same
author that differ only slightly from one another, or differ only by computer treatment (e.g. colour vs.
monochrome), or variations of a crop (where the point of interest is the same) will be regarded for
these terms and conditions as being the same image.
6. Please do not add any watermarks to your entries as the judging is anonymous. All entries with
watermarks on will be disqualified.
7. The copyright of all images remains with the entrant. The organisers’ reserve the right to
reproduce, without payment, any image in connection with the exhibition.
8. The Tauranga Photographic Society Inc accepts no responsibility for any claims relating to your
copyright or privacy infringement or disputes.
9. The organisers’ reserve the right to disqualify an entry that they consider, at their absolute
discretion, to be undesirable.
10. The judges’ decisions are final. Submission of an entry implies acceptance of the Salon rules.
If you have any questions, please email us at - NPStauranga@gmail.com
or phone entry secretary Jenny Whitcombe - 0274 353-669